Graduates from Canada and United States

Completed training in Canada or the United States and Canadian or American optometrists

Recognized diplomas and professional statuses

  1. Doctorate in optometry from the School of Optometry and Vision Science, University of Waterloo.
  2. Doctorate in optometry from an institution accredited by the Accreditation Council on Optometric Education
  3. Authorization to practice optometry in another jurisdiction in Canada or the United States

Other requirements


  1. Carefully read the information about the diploma and education equivalence recognition process and the language requirements.
  2. Please note, however, that graduates and optometrists from Canada and the United States generally do not have to take a placement test or complete a bridging program.
  3. Fill out and submit the following form to the Order with a cheque and the required documents: Application for the issue of a permit to practice optometry on the basis of a legal authorization to practice outside Quebec or an equivalence of diploma or training.