To practice optometry in Quebec, you must be a member of the Ordre des optométristes du Québec (the Order).
Obtaining a permit to practice optometry
You must meet at least one of the following conditions:
- Have a doctorate in optometry from the Université de Montréal’s School of Optometry (see the section: «Graduates from Quebec»).
- Be granted a diploma or training equivalence by the Order in accordance with the Règlement sur les normes d’équivalence aux fins de la délivrance d’un permis de l’Ordre des optométristes du Québec. In keeping with the process set out in this regulation (see the section « Graduates from outside Quebec») and the decisions of the Order:
- Be already authorized to practice optometry in a different jurisdiction in Canada or the United States, in accordance with the Regulation respecting legal authorizations to practice optometry outside Québec that give access to the permit of the Ordre des optométristes du Québec.
Diploma and training equivalence
- Diploma equivalence is granted to individuals who have a doctorate in optometry from an institution accredited by the Accreditation Council on Optometric Education and have passed a comprehensive examination on the knowledge and skills acquired in an educational program leading to that diploma .
- In the case of other diplomas or educational programs, equivalence may be granted if the requirements of the regulation are satisfied, after a review of the file.
Note: In Quebec, to complete optometry training, 18 years are generally required for elementary, secondary, college and university studies.
- Charter of the French Language (CQLR c. C-11)
- Professional Code (CQLR c. C-26)
- Regulation respecting the diplomas issued by designated educational institutions which give access to permits or specialist's certificates of professional orders (CQLR c. C-26, r. 2)
- Regulation respecting legal authorizations to practise optometry outside Québec that give access to the permit of the Ordre des optométristes du Québec (RLRQ, c. O-7, s. 4)
- Regulation respecting equivalence standards for the issue of a permit by the Ordre des optométristes du Québec (CQLR, c. c. O-7, s.12)
Contact us at: email@example.com.