International graduates

University training abroad, can I get a diploma and training equivalence?

Candidates trained in optometry outside of Canada and the United States may be granted diploma or training equivalence in some cases. 

Examples of diplomas likely to be granted a partial equivalence

  • University undergraduate diploma in optometry
  • Specialty diploma in ophthalmology

When partial training equivalence is granted, a bridging program is generally required. The content of this bridging program is usually determined following the completion of a placement test.

Other requirements


  1. Carefully read the information about the diploma and training equivalence recognition process and the language requirements.
  2. Fill out and submit the appropriate form to the Order along with a cheque and the required documents.
  3. For more details on the required documents, see the «Filing an application» section.