University training abroad, can I get a diploma and training equivalence?
Candidates trained in optometry outside of Canada and the United States may be granted diploma or training equivalence in some cases.
Examples of diplomas likely to be granted a partial equivalence
- University undergraduate diploma in optometry
- Specialty diploma in ophthalmology
When partial training equivalence is granted, a bridging program is generally required. The content of this bridging program is usually determined following the completion of a placement test.
- A bridging program, including the exam from the Optometry Examining Board of Canada, must be passed.
- The required documents must be submitted.
- The required fees must be paid.
- The information session on ethical aspects of practicing optometry in Quebec must be attended.
- The language requirements must be met, as appropriate.
- Carefully read the information about the diploma and training equivalence recognition process and the language requirements.
- Fill out and submit the appropriate form to the Order along with a cheque and the required documents.
- For more details on the required documents, see the «Filing an application» section.